Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Rice Krispie Treats Galore

This has come as a great shock to a lot of people I know, but I have never before made rice krispie treats (RKT for short). I've never even thought about them. I've never been a huge fan of store bought marshmallows or Rice Krispies in general, so I never even considered that the combination would be worthwhile. That is until about a month ago. I was visiting a friend and while we were chatting, she offered me a piece of butterscotch RKT. Now this woman has never failed me on any recipe so there was no way I would refuse anything offered at her house. I took a bite and swooned. I have definitely been missing out. I may have stolen one more piece that day, but try them yourself and then try to judge me.

Rice Krispy Treats

Late last week I went on a coffee run with some coworkers and when one of them began contemplating the plastic wrapped block on a tray under glass, I offered her a deal. She'll skip the block and I'll make something special. So on Sunday, I picked up some ingredients, whipped up a batch of butterscotch RKT and brought them to work. I've never seen anything disappear so fast. The container was shaken to see if any crumbs remained, and then brought to me with sad faces. I was on to something. So on Monday, I tried it again. I whipped up two different batches this time. The butterscotch again, since it was such a hit, and a cappuccino version. One box went to my sister's coworkers and the other will come with me tomorrow. I have a feeling they will be well received.

So whether or not you've ever made RKTs before, give these a try. The flavor is deeper and the treat is just as good as you remember, plus the possibilities to mess with the recipe are endless. Think of all the flavor and color possibilities!

Rice Krispy Treats

Butterscotch and Cappuccino Rice Krispies Treats
I started with a standard recipe and I looked around the web for ideas, but in the end I simplified and made enough tweaks to say that this recipe is mine, but I give credit to my friend for getting me started and obviously to Kellogg's for the original inspiration.

2 cups butterscotch chips (or cappuccino chips)
1 regular box of butterscotch pudding mix (or chocolate pudding and a Tbsp espresso powder)
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 10.5 oz bag of mini marshmallows (about 9 cups)
1 12oz box of Rice Krispies (I used a generic brand and it worked fine)

Spray a rectangular pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

Melt the butter in a very large pot, stir in the marshmallows and when they start to soften, toss in the chips. Stir vigorously until everything is melted and even, then quickly stir in the pudding mix (and espresso, if using).

Quickly stir in the cereal and stir to evenly distribute. Dump everything into the prepared pan and press firmly to spread mixture evenly. Let it cool for about 20 min, then flip onto a cutting surface and using a sharp knife, cut into squares. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Poires au Chocolat said...

Yum! I used to make these as a child with my cousins - they were so addictive. I'd never thought of dressing them up with butterscotch or coffee. Great ideas!

sweetie said...

were they a success? i'm always put off by the orange color of the butterscotch chips

Anna said...

Poires, thank you! I never had these as a child, but I sure will try to catch up now :D

Sweetie, they came out great and I have requests to make more. I know what you mean about the color...but you could always try a different flavor...how about white chocolate chips with pistachio pudding?

Kaitlin said...

My best friend's sister makes really good white chocolate rice krispie treats for Christmas. I have her recipe and, I've got to say, yours sound better! Yum!

Shanbanan said...

RKTs are like a drug for me. Can't touch them cause then I can't stop.

White choc chips and then throw in some salted peanuts...You wouldn't think just that teeny-tiny tweak would do so much, but let me warn you, it's awesome!

Cinnamon chips and then throw in some red hots candies...make you want to beg! And it's good to chop some pretzels up to mix in with these too.

And if you switch to choc rice crispies and throw in some whole mini choc chips.

Anna said...

Whoa nelly! And I thought I was onto something. Those sound amazing! Thank you for all the suggestions!

Arizona bankruptcy lawyer said...

This looks like a great treat. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I enjoy the variations of flavor.

Milkshake Recipes said...

Interesting read