Wednesday, September 15, 2010

S'More Bars

The world needs more bake sales. It's a fantastic excuse to bake whatever you want, without any of the calories, because you know...you're not actually eating any of it because it's usually for a good cause and any you eat are the ones you can't sell. So when my friend asked me to help her out I said yes and went on a hunt for the perfect bake sale recipe. Lucky for me, there's a whole week's worth of bake sale goody ideas over at Sophistimom's Blog!

I've already tried lemon bars, and while they were fantastic, I didn't think they'd survive being packaged and stacked, so I picked two other recipes. A cookie recipe that will be going into my "make every chance you get" file that I'll tell you about later, and these bars. They're the easiest thing in the world to throw together, taste fantastic, look lovely, and go great with a cold glass of milk. I think they were a hit too, my friend asked me to make her another batch ;)

S'more Bars

s’mores bars
via Sophistimom

10 oz (300g) graham crackers (two cellophane wrapped stacks)
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
1 pinch of kosher salt
1 14 ounce can (400g) sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups (250g) semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups mini marshmallows

1. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. In a large resealable bag (or in a food processor), smash graham crackers until finely ground. I should have probably used the food processor, but it was strangely therapeutic to smash the bag of crackers with my fist. I call this "Free Therapy".
2. Stir in melted butter and salt. Press into a 13×9″ pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
3. Sprinkle on chocolate chips. Drizzle can of condensed milk over graham crackers; follow with marshmallows.
4. Bake for 20 minutes more, until marshmallows are lightly browned. Let cool completely.

5 comments:

Abby said...

I've been dying lately for a real s'more. But I think that's because I need a serious vacation! Camping would do the trick. But in a pinch so would these bars!

Barbara Bakes said...

It does get much easier than this. I'm sure they'll be a big hit at the bake sale.

Unknown said...

*Shaking Fist - I want some now!!!! I guess I have to hit up my chocolate stash in my desk.

Bryt said...

oooo yum, I'm taking note of that recipe

Katie said...

Love your justification for bake sales. You're right, the calories totally don't count. ;) And those s'mores bars look INCREDIBLE.