Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Jam Exchange

A few months ago, Steph over at Steph Chows posted about hosting her second jam exchange, and since I'm waist deep in jars of jam this summer, I thought it'd be fun to participate. A few weeks later I got an email telling me that my partner would be Evan, from Sweete Bakes and I immediately popped over to her blog to take a look around and see what sort of things she might like. I found out that we had a lot in common! We both made boozy blackberry jam, and in our back and forth emails we both agreed that every recipe can be improved by a splash of alcohol. Aside from some fantastic cake and cookie recipes I found over on her blog, I learned that she's also a little crazy like me when it comes to never saying no to a baking opportunity, though she does have me beat on the farthest traveling wedding cake delivery.

Gift Jam

Keeping all that in mind, I packed a jar of my Vanilla Bourbon Peach jam and a jar of a secret jam that I'm keeping a surprise until she gets her box, and dropped it in the mail. But she's so much more organized then I am and the very next day I had a box waiting with my mail when I got home. In it was a lovely note and two pretty jars of jam. A lovely blackberry blueberry port jam made with port from a local vineyard and an intriguing three pepper jam. I've been eating the blackberry jam in my pb&j sandwiches since last week and I'm planning to take her suggestion and try the pepper jam with fish, just as soon as this week's craziness dies down a bit. Thank you Evan!

Is it too early to sign up for next years exchange now?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You and your jam

Unknown said...

what a fabulous exchange...i am a bit jelly (pun overwhelmingly intended). we are vacationing in connecticut this week and i found the most amazing canning jars...i can't wait to get home and try them out with all the berries i have been freezing this summer. your post makes me want to be home in my kitchen even more!

Evan @swEEts said...

Ahh thanks for the kind words!! :) Mountain Man and I can't wait to get into the Watermelon Jam and try it out.. we already know we're going to love the bourbon infused one! ha I'll let you know how everything goes! I say we just exchange every year what do you think!?