Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer Peach and Sour Cherry Crumble

I do believe my house is cursed. For the second time in the last few weeks a short, but insanely violent storm has caused me (and to be fair, thousands of other people) to lose power for over 24 hours. Every time I fill the fridge, I must empty it all out again. I've started to seriously consider living off of ramen until storm season is over. On the other hand, fresh fruit and veggies barely need refrigeration, so maybe I should just live off of them. Yep, that's a much better plan.

Peach and Sour Cherry Cobbler 2

Under normal circumstances, I'm a cake for dessert kind of a girl. I like layers, different fillings, elaborate frostings, and the amazingness that comes when all components play nice with each other. These days though I'm all about "toss it in and leave it alone" school of dessert thought, which is why I'm absolutely nuts over this crumble recipe. I remember looking through a bunch of recipes, but when it came time to bake I just threw some stuff together, shoved it into the oven and went back to "cleaning". Cleaning, by the way, entails pulling everything out of the giant closet in the living room, trying to discard items not used in years but then carefully putting everything back because "I might need it some day". Sigh. Less is more was never my philosophy.

Peach and Sour Cherry Cobbler

Summer Peach and Sour Cherry Crumble

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter
6 or 7 quartered peaches
1 cup pitted sour cherries

- Preheat oven to 375F
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl and stir together thoroughly. Take 1/2 a cup of the dry mix and in a separate bowl mix it together with the fruit.
- Dump the fruit into a 9x9 deep glass or ceramic dish and set aside.
- Cut up the butter into small pieces and dump into the bowl with the remaining dry mix. Work it in with your hands to make the crumble. Try to incorporate all the butter and not leave too many floury patches. This will be the yummy butter stuff on top and you will want it to be good. Spread the crumble evenly over the fruit.
- Shove the dish into the oven and bake until the crumble on top is nice and golden. This should take approximately 40 minutes. If you used frozen fruit, no worries, just add 10 minutes to the baking time.
- Scoop into bowls and eat...or top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra special treat.

8 comments:

tofugirl said...

Ugh, sorry to hear about your power loss issues! Hopefully you won't get hit with anymore outages this summer...

That crumble looks delicious. I just got to bake with sour cherries for the first time ever recently and I'm in love. Too bad they're so hard to find!

Sanjeeta kk said...

Absolute delight!

Unknown said...

I like your theory of living off of fruits and vegetables, much healthier than living off of cakes and cookies like I tend to do @_@. Haha. This looks delicious!

Fly said...

this is the crumble you left me alone to eat the LAST time your power went out! ah, how difficult you make it for me to lose weight, but how yummy my after dinner dessert was every day that week :)

Anna said...

Thank you guys!

And Fly, it has oatmeal and fruit...that means it's totally healthy :D

Pretty. Good. Food. said...

Sounds delicious! I like the addition of the sour cherries :)!

cocoa and coconut said...

What a delicious classic! I'd love to curl up with a bowl of this in winter.

Jennifer said...

Thank you! I've been searching for a recipe that includes peaches AND sour cherries, since I have a bunch of each at home! This looks delicious!